Wife of nightclub gunman detained in Konya

Wife of nightclub gunman detained in Konya

Following release of new images and videos of the gunman who killed at least 39 people in a popular İstanbul nightclub on the New Year’s Day, the police detained his wife in Konya province although the terrorist’s identity has not yet been revealed.

The gunman reportedly came from Kyrgyzstan to İstanbul by plane on November 20 with his wife and two kids and rented an apartment in central Anatolian city of Konya. The terrorist Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) claimed the massacre in İstanbul on Monday.

The he neighbours in Konya informed the police about the gunman’s family after the images appeared in media. The gunman’s wife is detained. She reportedly told the police that she had no idea about her husband’s sympathy towards ISIL, let alone his connection to the terrorist group. The gunman’s wife has been brought to İstanbul from Konya. Police announced that the gunman’s fingerprints have also been detected without revealing his name.

CNNTürk reported on Tuesday that the rifles that were used in the nightclub attack have not been used in any other attack before.

Turkish media had published new images and videos of the unidentified gunman who killed at least 39 people and wounded 69 others in a İstanbul nightclub.

Although eight people had been detained in the investigation into the massacre, none of them are reported to be the actual gunman.

“In continuation of the blessed operations that Islamic State is conducting against the protector of the cross, Turkey, a heroic soldier of the caliphate struck one of the most famous nightclubs where the Christians celebrate their apostate holiday,” the ISIL statement said as reported by Reuters.

Thirty-five victims of a massacre carried out by a lone gunman in the early hours of Sunday have been identified, with 24 of them being foreign nationals and 11 Turkish citizens, DHA has reported.

At slightly after 1 a.m. on New Year’s Day, a man wielding a Kalashnikov rifle reportedly killed a policeman and a civilian outside the entrance to the popular Reina nightclub and blazed his way into the club, randomly shooting at some of the hundreds of revelers bringing in the New Year.

Of the 25 male and 14 female victims of the slaughter, seven were Saudi Arabian, two Indian, one from Canada, one from Syria, one from Israel, two Tunisians, four Iraqis, one Lebanese and one from Belgium. Eleven were Turkish citizens.

The Institute of Forensic Medicine (ATK) is working to identify the remaining four foreigners killed in the rampage.

Pro-government circles in Turkey continue to blame the US for the attack due to previous security warnings.

On Dec. 22 the US Embassy in Ankara had issued a security warning. Following the attack on New Year’s Day, the owner of the Reina, Mehmet Koçarslan said, based on what he read in the media as he later clarified, the US had warned of a possible attack 10 days prior to the New Year, in reference to a general US security warning.

In a new statement released on Sunday, the US Embassy in Ankara said that ‎contrary to rumors circulating on social media, the US government had no information about threats to specific entertainment venues, including the Reina Club, and that ‎the US government did not warn Americans to stay away from specific venues or neighborhoods.